Thursday, January 29, 2009

the ring - a scary story


So, apparently a woman's fingers may swell during pregnancy. For me, this happened at only 2 months. I woke up in the middle of the night and my wedding / engagement rings felt extra tight. I tried to take them off for the next hour. I even got a little panicky because I could not get them off. I went back to sleep, unsuccessful. All the next day I tried EVERYTHING I could think of to get those rings off. They were getting so tight it was hurting. My finger was swelling up like a small balloon. The rings would not fit over that balloon. I held my hand above my head for maybe 15 minutes to try to decrease blood flow to that finger. I used vegetable oil. Lotion. Soaked my hand in ice water (which apparently shrinks the metal, so that was counterproductive). I then looked online and found that wrapping dental floss around the finger and thru the ring and then using that to sort of screw the ring off - is what they do in hospitals... No luck there either. Finally, 12 hours after I had 1st woken up with a newly fat finger, Jen got the ring off with butter. So, from now on if you get a ring stuck on your finger... butter and twisting are your best friends. My finger is healing now... It's red and still puffy. The edema is gone because it had room to escape once the ring was out of its way. No more rings for me for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment